Thursday, June 08, 2006

Travel with Baby!

I've recently received an email from a mom travelling from the Caribbean back home to Canada for a visit...First of all...sigh! How exciting! It started me thinking about travels with my little ones...actually with our first little one since we haven't really gone any where since Sabrina was born!

I remember travelling with Joshua when he was an infant...we had to put a blanket over the window on his side because any transport truck whizzing by on his side would just terrify him. I travelled a lot around Ontario in the back seat next to him and mini-gos are great travel food for babies!

When we travelled by air, we made sure that we tried for an evening or night flight and that we reserved the bulkhead (?) and a bassinet for our little one. If you are bringing a stroller, they'll take the stroller from you at the gate and stow it for you and it'll be waiting for you at the gate when you arrive - nice! If you're bringing an infant car seat I think getting a "snap and go stroller" would be great for the trip. You can find a picture of one here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007M4JT/002-5478505-1867201?v=glance

As well, a soft baby carrier for the trip is an almost must! I LOVE the Ergo Baby Carrier and the Hip Hammock. I just sigh when I think about carrying my babies in them! I actually think I could still carry Sabrina, she's 3 years old, in the Ergo...must try that some day - she'd love it!

As well, you may want to try the following companies to see if they'll be able to help you in your journey:

Borrow Til Tomorrow
Serving - Niagara Falls, The Greater Niagara Region, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie shorelines
Fenwick, Ontario
Phone: 1-800-924-4914 U.S & Canada only
905-892-6960 local - Niagara Area (Canada)
Web site: http://www.borrowtiltomorrow.com/

Travel-Buggy
Serving - Montreal and surrounding area
Phone: (514) 659-2323
Web site: (English) http://www.travel-buggy.com/ / (French) www.bebes-en-voyage.com

gogoBaby
Serving - Toronto
Phone: 647-895-BABY (2229)
Web site: http://www.gogobaby.ca/

V.I.P. Child Car Seat Rentals Inc.
29 Steckley Street
Aurora, Ontario
L4G 7K6
Phone: 905-713-0326
Web site: http://www.vipchildcarseat.com/

Away WEE Travel
Serving - Toronto & Vancouver
Phone: 416-737-1622 / 604-222-4722
Web site: http://www.weetravel.ca/

Globe Toddlers - Baby Equipment Rentals
Serving - Fernie
Phone: 250-423-0355
email: reservations@globetoddlers.ca

Baby's On The Go
1410 Alpha Lake Rd., Suite 204A,
Function Junction, Whistler, B.C. Canada
Phone: 604-905-0002 Toll Free:1-866-905-0002
Web site: www.babysonthego.com

Let me know if any of this is helpful and please share what you've found useful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
I design and sell sleepsacks and was surprised by the number of parents who have emailed me about how useful their sleepsack was for travelling because their baby associated the sleepsack with sleep, no matter where they were. So I wanted to pass that tip on to some of those travellin' parents.
Cheers,
Jill
Köhlr Baby

ninepounddictator said...

Um, thanks for this!
I love travelling, but my child is turning into a nightmare...

I want to start a service where an airline has nannies or babysitters on baord to keep your baby busy, well you can nap, or read....What do you think?