Saturday, January 06, 2007

High cost of child care

Something is seriously wrong with childcare in Canada. I've seen articles regarding some Chinese immigrants send thier children (babies) back to China to be raise by relatives.

Earlier this year, I was speaking to an advocate from Ottawa who was concern about our new childcare benefits. Naming the $100 a month that families are getting childcare benefits doesn't really cut it. I know when my kids were in part-time care with a wonderful woman down the street we were charged a reasonable $180 per week. $100 would have only made a small dent in the $720+ we paid per month.

Just reading this article made me think of all the conversations I've had over the past 12 months on the topic of childcare in Canada...and it's just wrong. Parents and are children need more help and support.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree its difficult for many families to justify the cost of childcare.Depending on your income the goverment will have subsidy to help with childcare costs. (Alberta)
One point I would like to make is that the majority of good child care operations do not make allot of cash. I worked in the industry for 15 years, I had a better paying position because i worked for the city of calgary social services. But the average childcare worker who has completed thier early childhood diploma (2 years of college ) will be prepared to start @ $8.00 per hour.I find this appalling, considering my 15 year old son can get a job with no previous training in construction for 15.00 per hour.
So i see the child care issues as more than the high cost, definatly it reaks of no pay equity.
Kelly-Sue
www.booboobears.com
info@booboobears.com

Sara said...

all parents need more help, not just those who use one style daycares.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to discuss the matter of having children and realizing your responsibilty to cover the cost of child care. I wonder when people got the idea that the governement should be footing the bill for everything. I'm sorry the 100 isn't covering the whole cost, but what are you expecting? There are alot of more important things our government funds could be going to rather than to raise your child that you chose to have. I know we need children so the world can continue to function but I'm really tired of hearing about the money you aren't getting. I went to univerity for many years without a buck from the government when all I had to do was stay at home and have kids to get some free cash. Really sad isn't it. You must remember there are two sides to every story, and yours is getting a little old.